Tuesday 30 September 2014



From a foundation degree to an honours degree


When I started on my foundation degree I never believed I would end up at the university doing the full degree. My first year was tough and a steep learning curve. I was very nervous and sometimes worried about how I would cope.  My tutor said I may have dyslexia and suggested that I go for an assessment. After my assessment came through, I was assigned a tutor and found I was able to work on my skills. This made the world of difference; I improved my writing skills, my organisation skills, and was able to talk through ideas.

I am proud to say that I completed the foundation degree and progressed onto the honours degree. There is, however, a big jump.  I have found that I need to be much more independent a learner, read more widely, do more research and write more extended, in depth assignments. Starting on the foundation year gave me time to develop these skills needed for the final year and I would recommend anyone who is nervous about higher education to take this route, especially if you have dyslexia, or if you are a mature student (Elsa, social policy student)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.