Tuesday 20 May 2014



Experiences of being on placement

Here is Aimee talking about her experience on placement in medicine:

As a first year medical student, most of the academic year is spent in lectures and a few small tutorials. The only exposure to a clinical setting is a two week placement in a local teaching hospital. The fortnight consists of a medicine week, where the student shadows a consultant; and a nursing week, where the student spends time with the nursing staff. I found both weeks extremely enjoyable and a great insight into a hospital setting.
Throughout my first week (medicine week), I was able to shadow the consultants on morning ward rounds, sit in on some afternoon clinics and even observe certain procedures, including a bronchoscopy and an ascetic drain. There was also time to speak with patients and take histories, a fantastic opportunity so early on in the course. This contact with patients made me realise the importance of good communication skills and a bedside manner.
Having never witnessed a bronchoscopy before, I was unaware to how the procedure would be carried out. Consent was obtained from the patient first and this reassured me that the patient and his family were fully aware of what the procedure involved. I found the whole experience very useful to observe, especially as I went on to speak of my experience in my first year examinations. I was grateful to both the patient and the clinicians involved who were not only agreeable to my presence, but also encouraging me to learn by questioning my knowledge of the lungs.
With this procedure being very visual and there were no associated written examinations to follow, I felt like my dyslexia did not prevent me, in any way, from learning as much as I possibly could. I was pleased the clinician was encouraging me to observe the procedure, as it was a great feeling to be a part of the team. Despite not able to perform any bronchoscopies myself, it was still a very worthwhile experience and once I have reflected on in both exams and interviews.
I found the experience interesting and I drew a lot of knowledge from witnessing the procedure first hand. When researching clinical cases and during private study, I find I am able to recall my knowledge learnt from this experience and this has hence helped my overall learning. I shall continue to learn in very visual ways and look forward to more clinical placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.